Winter Holiday Closure 2017-18//= Titles\title(); ?>
Back to Top
First Posted: 11/22/2017
2017-18 WINTER HOLIDAY CLOSURE
UCLA will close for 10 days between Saturday, December 23, 2017, and Monday, January 1, 2018, with plans to reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2018. The closure period includes four University paid holidays (December 25, 26, 29, 2017, and January 1, 2018) and two days that are not paid holidays (December 27 and 28, 2017).
Consistent with University policy on curtailment leave, staff employees who accrue vacation leave will need to use either vacation, compensatory time (if available), or leave without pay to compensate for the two work days that are not holidays.
For exclusively represented employees, labor contracts may include similar provisions, and requirements under the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act will be observed.
In accordance with University personnel policies and applicable labor agreements, employees will have the choice of the following options to cover the non-paid days during the closure period:
- Employees may utilize vacation days in advance of their actual accrual.
- Newly hired employees (represented and policy-covered) may utilize their vacation accruals during the closure before acquiring six continuous months on pay status.
- Employees with accrued compensatory time may elect to use it to cover the two days off or to offset the use of vacation time.
- Employees may use administrative time gained from donating blood.
- For employees within Housing & Hospitality Services, you will have the option of volunteering for a day at the LA Food Bank and being paid. Priority will be given to those without sufficient vacation time to cover the two day break.
- Employees who do not wish to use vacation or compensatory time off may request leave without pay for the two working days based on departmental approval. In this case, employees will not lose hourly vacation or sick leave accruals for these two days.
The above options may be used in combination. Employees should notify their respective supervisors in advance as to which option or combination of options they propose to use. Frequently Asked Questions regarding the upcoming 2017-18 Winter Holiday Closure have been developed. If you still have queries after referring to the article, please contact Javier Vijil in HRPCN at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information regarding entering time in Kronos and TRS will be made available to editors in the coming weeks.
There will be one biweekly payday on Wednesday, December 27th, 2017 during the campus closure. The paychecks for this biweekly payday will be distributed from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM on December 27th at the HR & Payroll Center – North office located in Sproul Hall, Suite 162. As a reminder, we will only distribute paychecks that are normally distributed from our office. All other paychecks will be available for pickup at Campus Payroll located in Suite 620 in the Wilshire Center from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
December monthly paychecks will be distributed on January 2nd, 2018.
Please see the Kronos section for edits deadline information: https://hrpcnorth.ucla.edu/payroll-compensation/Kronos/